Call for Entries
The Altadena Library District is hosting its first Chalk Walk in Summer 2018 and is seeking both emerging and experienced artists in our community to participate. The event will feature 12 selected artists’ work and will offer separate space for walk-on artists, guests, and families with children to create their own chalk masterpieces. The public will be invited to vote on their favorite pieces, and an expert panel will select winners of the two categories (Emerging and Experienced).
Deadline to Enter: Monday, July 2, 2018
Artists will receive acceptance or denial of their application by Wednesday, July 11.
Date of Event: Saturday, July 21, 2018, from 10:00am – 3:00pm
Location: Altadena Main Library Walkways (600 E. Mariposa Street, Altadena 91001)
Theme: In alignment with the Library’s Summer Reading theme of “Reading Takes You Everywhere,” we request that the chalk pieces stay in the theme of “Art Takes You Everywhere,” depicting travel scenes or destinations, real and/or fantastical. As long as your piece can somehow transport our audience, you can be as creative as you like with the subject matter!
- No artist will be considered without a sketch and brief description of their proposed chalk drawing. Please submit one large image of the art you wish to create.
- Artwork for the festival must be appropriate for public, family viewing. No words, symbols, or logos intended as advertising may appear within the chalk drawing image.
- Artists that plan to reproduce another living artist’s work MUST get written permission in the form of email or letter.
- Chalk will be provided for featured artists. However, if you are using a predominant color in your design, you may want to purchase that color before the event. Only non-oil-based soft chalk/pastels in a solid form may be used for the street painting. Acrylic paints, spray can pastels, oil-based pastels, hard pastels, etc. are not acceptable.
- Artists are required to work on their chalk drawings during the event, from 10:00am to 3:00pm, with an hour break.
- Artists must be at least 15 years old.
Fill out THIS APPLICATION and email the application and a sketch of the piece you wish to create Melissa Aldama (Art Coordinator) at .