Computers at the Library:
The Main Library has 20 computers available for adults and young adults and 6 computers for children. Chromebooks (laptops) are also available for checkout to be used inside the library. There is no charge to use the computers but printing costs 15 cents per page. All users must have an Altadena Library card. Those under 18 years of age must have a parent or guardian signed Internet User Agreement Form in order to use the computers. Please read our computer policies for more information.
The Bob Lucas Branch Library has 6 public access computers and 3 chromebooks available for checkout. Branch computer users may sign up for 2 one hour sessions per day.
The Altadena Library District is pleased to offer free wireless Internet access at both locations to patrons with appropriately equipped wireless devices.
Computer Classes - Main Library
Intro to Computers
- Introduction to the computer
- Step by step instruction on how to access library computer programs
- Learn about the parts of the computer (the mouse, the keyboard, and the screen)
- Learn how to navigate on the computer (open programs, open documents, save files, etc.)
- Intro to the web
- The Altadena Library District website and resources
- Web browser
- URL/Web address
- Search engines
- Finding websites
- Evaluating Internet sources
- Beginning Word
Introduction to Microsoft Office Word
- The Microsoft Word Environment
- Learn how to create, edit, save and open a Word document
- Learn about Word toolbars and
- Learn to print a document
Setting up a new email account
- Learn how to send and receive email
- Learn how to send information in an attachment
Adult Computer classes are six (6) weeks long per session, Tuesday mornings 10 am – 12 pm only. Registration is required prior to a class and you must be available to attend the entire six -week session. Schedule is subject to change. Registration is limited to 6 students per session. An Altadena Library Card is required to register. Please sign up at the Adult Services Reference Desk or call (626) 798-8338 (press 3 for the Reference Desk).
Altadena Library District is participating in a pilot project with the State Library to offer Chromebooks (laptops) for checkout. Chromebooks are available for check out to be used at the Main Library and Bob Lucas Branch Library.
Read and sign the Chromebook Borrowing Policy.